Were to live in Languedoc

Questions and answers

Were to live in Languedoc

Postby dcls14352 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:59 pm

We are interested in buying in Languedoc. But do not know were. We went to Griussan twice in 2013. We like Gruissan, Bages and Peyriac-de-Mer but thought they might be a bit quite out of season. Gruissan was pretty quite at the end of May. Also we were not bowled over by Narbonne. Ideally we would like:

A pretty town
Facilities (restaurants supermarkets)
Near or on the coast
Life outside August

Beziers looks interesting. Any advice would be welcome.
dcls14352

Re: Were to live in Languedoc

Postby Brian and Helen » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:17 pm

Hello and welcome, dcls.

Beziers is certainly interesting, bits of it are rather good, bits are less salubrious, but it is pulling itself up by the bootstraps, so a coming place perhaps - Villeneuve les Beziers, out by the Canal du Midi is one of the nicer areas.
Given your wish list, my first call would be at Marseillan, it ticks all the boxes. Other possibilities in the area would include Florensac and Vias for busy villages; and you really should look at Pezenas as a small town with a thriving year-round culture (we had lunch in a small restaurant yesterday and every table was full, so there's plenty of people about!)

Really though you should look all around, in the off-season, and see what suits your needs.

Brian
One day has arrived!
Brian and Helen

Postby peter » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:45 pm

A reply I sent recently to someone else asking the same question ....

Languedoc is a big area stretching from the Rhone to Spain !

Herault has most facilities (Montpellier is the capital of the region).
Gard extends into the Cevennes and generally has fewer facilities
Aude has less people, but Narbonne and Carcassonne are of a reasonable size.
Lozere is very remote and isolated.
Pyrenees-Orientales is on the Spanish border and has fewer facilities.

Property is expensive on the coast and in the major cities (Montpellier, Nimes, Perpignan).
Property is cheaper in the villages and in the Cevennes hills.

The Cevennes are colder and wetter (inc snow) than the plains. The coast has the mildest weather.

Many coastal towns and mountain villages are almost abandoned in winter.

The cities give the best prospects for finding work.
Montpellier is the powerhouse of the region with universities, international companies, etc and it also benefits from museums, galleries, restaurants etc.
There is a live webcam here : http://www.montpellier.fr/150-webcam-montpellier.htm . It also has good transport facilities including a tram system.

The area is well served with low cost flight airports. Not all routes fly over the winter. Airports people use to fly to Languedoc include Barcelona, Girona, Perpignan, Carcassonne, Toulouse, Rodez, Beziers, Montpellier, Nimes, Avignon, Marseille, Lyon. Barcelona, Marseille and Lyon have most routes. Of the smaller airports Montpellier is best. Because Languedoc is long and narrow not all the airports are convenient for all areas. Marseille is around 1 hour from Nimes, but Barcelona is 3.5 hrs away.

The A9 autoroute follows the coast with spurs going to Clermont Ferrand/Paris and Carcassonne/Toulouse/Bordeaux. Many of the small roads are slow, particularly in the hills.

The main rail line follows the coast with major stations at Avignon, Nimes, Montpellier, Beziers, Narbonne and Perpignan. It continues to Barcelona. Parts are dedicated TGV track and the final Montpellier to Perpignan section is in the planning stage. Nimes to Paris is 3 hrs by TGV.

There are a lot of small villages with poor transport, no shops, schools doctors etc. In some areas they are virtual ghost towns in winter.

In the SW they have the tramontain wind and the Rhone valley has the mistral. Both are dry bringing blue skies but very cold cold in winter. Particularly exposed areas are cheaper because of these winds. Best to ensure you live in a relatively sheltered spot.

The only real industrial areas to avoid are the towns around Alés which have abandoned coal mines, steel works etc.

So, I'd look for a medium sized village/town within easy reach of a city, mid way from the coast to the mountains.

I'd research these towns or nearby villages - Uzes, Sommieres, Nimes, Lunel, Montpellier, Sete (on the coast but active year round), Beziers, Pezenas, Lodeve, Clermont l'Herault, Pezenas, Narbonne, Carcassonne, Perpignan.

My choice would be a village near a small town within reach of Montpellier.

As an example Calvisson is a small market town half way between Nimes and Montpellier and mid way from the coast and hills. It has basic facilities in the village, better facilities in Sommieres and is 30 / 40 minutes drive from both Nimes and Montpellier. You can "explore" villages with google street view : http://goo.gl/maps/WUnlJ
peter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Genghis Cohen » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:26 pm

To be ultra pedantic the PO is in Roussillon and the region is called Languedoc Roussillon.

In the PO you might consider Canet, St Cyprien, Port Vendres. Possibly Banyuls sur Mer. Collioure is a tourist trap and impossible, the etang at Le Barcares produces interesting odours and Cerbere is just too remote. There is a large concentration of Brits clustered around the last exit from the A9 at Le Boulou.

GC
Genghis Cohen

Postby peter » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:57 pm

Genghis Cohen wrote:To be ultra pedantic the PO is in Roussillon and the region is called Languedoc Roussillon.

There is a large concentration of Brits clustered around the last exit from the A9 at Le Boulou.

GC

Is that a positive ?

:wink:
peter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Genghis Cohen » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:33 pm

peter wrote:[quote="Genghis Cohen"

There is a large concentration of Brits clustered around the last exit from the A9 at Le Boulou.

GC

Is that a positive ?

:wink:[/quote]

I could not possibly comment.

BTW. I forgot to mention Argeles as a possibility

GC
Genghis Cohen

Postby dcls14352 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:42 am

Many thanks for all the input. We are in France for the whole of August we will check out some of your suggestions then.
dcls14352

Postby hesfordj » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:18 am

Pezenas would seem to tick the boxes.

If you include the Roussillon, Collioure is the prettiest town on the coast, and is lively all year round but it is heaving in summer.

In all honesty, I don't think that living on the Languedoc coast is that great outside the summer months. Most of the coastal towns were built in the 60s on drained swamp. Much better to be a 30 minute drive from the coast and live somewhere with a bit more soul.

However, I've never been to Sete, which could be the exception.
Jonathan
www.domainetreloar.com
Vineyard, Winery and Accomodation
hesfordj

Postby Brian and Helen » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:57 am

I might add to that, Jonathon, that the coastal area is a difficult place to live in summer too - because you can't get anywhere as the roads are packed with tourists, ditto your favourite bars and restaurants. Your comment about 30 minutes from the coast is spot-on in my opinion - near enough for when you want it, yet not so close as to be a disadvantage and handy for the Parc Naturel.

Sete is a busy place, lively all year round, but very crowded and impossible to park in - and I mean impossible - good if you like cuttlefish, because that's all they eat there.
One day has arrived!
Brian and Helen

Postby gurubarry » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:22 pm

Seems to me, from the "Advice" given, we should not be living here at all ......MDR .

I have never found : " A pretty town
Facilities (restaurants supermarkets)
Near or on the coast
Life outside August"

anywhere on the Planet, let alone the South of France .

You just can't imagine your personal paradise and expect it to appear, there are always compromises . Plus , no details of where the poster lives, or why they want to arrive in the South of France .
Moved here 11 Years ago , love it , love Life here.
gurubarry
Super Guru
Super Guru

Postby Brian and Helen » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:47 pm

Of course this place isn't perfect, Guru, it's just better than all the alternatives :D

B
One day has arrived!
Brian and Helen

Postby gurubarry » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:50 am

D'accc! It's the old "Half full or Half empty Glass syndrome . I honestly open the shutters every morning and say "Good morning Montpellier"

(Unless I'm elsewhere G.C .!! ) :lol:
gurubarry
Super Guru
Super Guru

Postby dcls14352 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:49 pm

In the end we bought a village house in Azille which is near Homps.

It needs a new kitchen and bathroom can anyone suggest a builder in the area? I say suggest as people may be reluctant to recommend.
dcls14352

Postby gurubarry » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:19 pm

I have friends near there ,I will ask if they can recommend or suggest anyone ....Great to have you in France ...enjoy it .x
gurubarry
Super Guru
Super Guru

Return to The knowledge base