The Languedoc Forum & the Anglophone Direct website ...

Notes about this forum

The Languedoc Forum & the Anglophone Direct website ...

Postby peter » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:19 pm

Anglophone Direct

Summary

I have been contacted by an irate Kate of Anglophone Direct who requests that I delete posts criticising her forum and ban the posters responsible.
The final paragraph starts " Dont worry about writing back ...." . This saddens me as we have worked together for many years, I have visited her home, and I have always viewed her as a friend.

This posting is to try and establish an ongoing direction for relations between The Languedoc Page and the A-D forum.

Background
A-D is a long established website based in neighbouring Roussillon. They have a forum and produce a useful magazine together with regular newsletters.
A-D and The Languedoc Page have maintained good relations and co-operation since the beginning. The current problem stems from forum content.

Forums
Obviously these forums have much content of interest to all, including legislation changes, travel info, local politics, etc.
This has resulted in significant interaction between the forums :
* many "keep an eye" on both forums
* a dozen members happily post on both forums
* about half a dozen ex members of A-D post here. They believe they were driven out of A-D because they held different views from A-D management.
* a further half dozen A-D members support the above by PM and email but do not wish to post openly

Forum philosophy
The Languedoc Forum aims to provide a platform allowing a free exchange of information between those having a common interest in Languedoc.
Initially posting was open to all but had to be regulated by registration due to the activities of spammers. I believe that a true forum must be open to those with opposing views, and self regulating, even when disagreements become heated ( rather like a long Sunday lunchtime in a UK country pub, perhaps? ). This has been fairly successful over the last eight years and there has been very little friction amongst members of this forum. The only complaints I have received have been concerning members and former members of Anglophone Direct. I have spent much time (and compromised my beliefs) using PM's to try and resolve the A-D problems as they have arisen.

My dilemma is : if it is acceptable to have forum threads discussing and criticising the content of letters to the editor of The Times, or the progress of a UK football team, or the behaviour of Wayne Rooney, or Ryanair pricing policy, or customer service at La Poste, or a TV programme, or The Languedoc Page or myself; why should I censor posts criticising another forum ?

Equally, what should my response be if I receive a mail from a Mrs Rooney saying XXXX called my Wayne an uncouth yob on your forum - I want you to delete the post and ban XXXX ? Clearly Mrs Rooney has a more personal and biaised view of Waynes behaviour than most.

Current position
Amongst other things the irate mails from A-D stated :

* "You ignored me last time and allowed these two or three 'gentlemen' to accuse me of writing rubbish on my site (fete de la chandeleur etc) and various other nasty comments in a couple of long and nasty threads" This may be true as I have been at home for less than one month since the end of November 2010.

* "you cannot see that this little P-O group is taking over your forum, as they did mine" ?

* "Dont worry about writing back if it is such a dilemma for you....... to be quite if you have to think that hard about it I think I have my answer!" I was not able to fully respond immediately for personal reasons.

* "Do you honestly think you are better than John in this particular thread on my forum? Neither of you can just leave it - you are pot and kettle but you see yourself on a higher moral ground, maybe because you know your little group of loonies will support you to the hilt and love every minute of it?" Refers to a discussion about Ryanair I think.

Clearly there is no common ground for rational or logical discussion here.

Future direction
1) In the interest of eliminating any doubt as to my intentions, I will not post again at the A-D forum. I have asked Kate to cancel my registration and delete my previous postings
2) I reserve the right to delete threads, and ban members of this forum myself - if I think it is necessary
3) As previously, I will immediately delete spam
4) Equally, I will delete content that would not be acceptable to the man on the "Clapham omnibus" - be it racial, sexual, blasphemous, illegal etc in nature
5) Attacks on named individuals, of a personal nature are not acceptable

I believe that this is quite in line with A-D policy. Kate recently stated in response to a forum posting :

"You are very positive about XXXXXX, and that's great, others are quite negative and that's great too as it gives a good balance and makes for more interesting, multi angled reading.
Imagine if we were all happy with everything and everyone around us!
We'd be miserable as hell cos we'd have nothing to moan about!!!"

Let's go forward in an atmosphere of peace.

Peter
peter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby catalanglais » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:54 am

I'm sorry you have had all of this trouble with Kate because of us PO residents and I am equally sorry that you have lost her friendship because of it.

I am sad and disappointed that you will no longer be posting on AD as your posts are always informative and provide important information that wouldn't be available without you. A very valuable member of the AD forum has been lost.
catalanglais
Super Guru
Super Guru

Postby Sandra » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:38 am

well said Peter, this forum is by far the best.
Sandra

Postby ianhartley » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:42 pm

150 views, but very few comments?

If Kate allows the current nonsense to go on, she will have no posters left.

Can't someone talk to her and bring her to her senses?
ianhartley

Postby Las-Cobas » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:10 am

Ian,

Kate has lost virtually 98% of her experienced, knowledgeable resident posters, all had problems with top beak "VH". I know of numerous people who appealed to Kate over problems with VH, but she ignored them, failing to act on their genuine complaints.

One would have logically thought that the owner of AD, having put Kate as the visible head, would have done something after loosing so many talented posters, but obviously its the hits that bring in the money.

Now with the loss of Peter, AD will no longer have the knowledgeable input that he gave, especially his continuously updated flight and traffic information, which helped the secondary home uses in the PO, who relied greatly on Peters up to date posting on AD to plan their visits.

Today there are more moderators on AD than posters.

I joined AD in Jan 2006 and was always within the top 5 posters, it was at the time a friendly, lively forum, with political and social issues debated regularly.

But VH started being very PC, with the posts and on more than a few occasions deleted complete threads without warning, only to restore them a few days later! this obviously was the precursor to the demise of the lively debates.

The one that will always stick in my mind was a lively debate on "The Barnett formula" where virtually all of the English posters thought that Scotland, Ulster and Wales, should not be subsidised by the English taxpayer, VH thought differently and posed quite rightly in his own right his feelings, further down the thread, when it was obvious that the English were winning the debate, he put his moderator beak on and locked the thread, thwarting any further discussion.

After a particularly nasty incident with VH, where he humiliated my young daughter on the forum over her 2 only posts and myself, there were many genuine members who gave her and myself their support and criticised VH, he later admitted he had made an error, but by then too much water had gone under the bridge.

I stopped posting after the incident in March 2009.

Today two years after stopping posting I am the 13th highest poster on the AD Forum.

Most people who have met Kate, genuinely like her but they cannot understand her mindset now days.
“Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.”

Gremlin.
Las-Cobas
Super Guru
Super Guru

Postby peter » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:47 am

catalanglais wrote:I'm sorry you have had all of this trouble with Kate because of us PO residents .....

The strange thing is that it is apparently all my fault.

Perhaps I should ask new members for an old electricity bill and exclude all P-O residents ?

:roll:

THIS IS NOT REAL LIFE (thinking of adopting this as my new signature)

Peter
peter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby graham34 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:16 am

New signature - that's it, you need a flamingo in Ryanair colours :wink:
graham34

Postby peter » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:29 am

Came across this :

Spot of bother from Sheefag : http://www.aronline.co.uk/forum/viewtop ... 57&t=17260

Poll for banning of Sheefag : http://www.aronline.co.uk/forum/viewtop ... 57&t=17274

Cross posting : http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=14594

Seems members of http://www.macdroitwich.com are going to war with http://www.aronline.co.uk

Pot calling kettle black or intelligence war against the other side : http://macdroitwich.wikkii.com/wiki/Main_Page
- this is very funny in parts. e.g.

March 2011 - Marking a new low in the already shabby history of the World's Most Brutally Run BL Forum, MacDroitwich stalwart and true Man Of CLASS Alex Wedge is "evicted" from the website. Several other MacDroitwichians resign their commission in support leaving what was once the best CLASS website in the world as a pale shadow of its former self, populated only by Lord Sward and a retarded Irishman.

... it does make TLF look like a haven of peace !

THIS IS NOT REAL LIFE becoming closer to adoption !
Last edited by peter on Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:20 pm, edited 6 times in total.
peter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby alex hampshire » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:45 am

ianhartley wrote:150 views, but very few comments ?

If Kate allows the current nonsense to go on, she will have no posters left.

Can't someone talk to her and bring her to her senses ?

1 If I said what I really feel it would start WW3. So best not.

2 That's her decision.

3 You're obviously not married!
Alex

If you think that your life is boring, take a look at mine.
http://anorthyorkshirejournal.blogspot.co.uk
alex hampshire

Postby peter » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:45 am

peter wrote:Came across this :

Spot of bother from Sheefag : http://www.aronline.co.uk/forum/viewtop ... 57&t=17260

Poll for banning of Sheefag : http://www.aronline.co.uk/forum/viewtop ... 57&t=17274

Cross posting : http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=14594

Seems members of http://www.macdroitwich.com are going to war with http://www.aronline.co.uk

Pot calling kettle black or intelligence war against the other side : http://macdroitwich.wikkii.com/wiki/Main_Page
- this is very funny in parts. e.g.

March 2011 - Marking a new low in the already shabby history of the World's Most Brutally Run BL Forum, MacDroitwich stalwart and true Man Of CLASS Alex Wedge is "evicted" from the website. Several other MacDroitwichians resign their commission in support leaving what was once the best CLASS website in the world as a pale shadow of its former self, populated only by Lord Sward and a retarded Irishman.

... it does make TLF look like a haven of peace !

THIS IS NOT REAL LIFE becoming closer to adoption !

This one will run and run :

http://www.aronline.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=17260&start=40

The post on Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:01 am seems to summarise the feelings of the owner.
peter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Genghis Cohen » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:47 am

Thanks you, LC, for bringing this to my attention.

One of the big advantages of the AD/POL home page layout is that all recent posts are grouped together and displayed as such. I do rather tend to just look at the Postbox and Knowledge categories and ignore the stuff lower down the page. My display setting does not help either. Lesson learnt – be more discerning in future.

In recent weeks there has been a deal of discussion on the BBC about how people behave on the internet. It seems some people lose their inhibitions. There is a big debate on all aspects of individual and collective behaviour. Unfortunately, for some among us, what goes on in cyberspace is real and several well documented tragedies illustrate the point. Even hardened professional journalists have been driven to the brink by reactions to their blogs.

When I first started on AD I had high hopes. But it quickly became apparent that something was wrong. I have always been interested in human behaviour. What people do and why. So I did some analysis and came to the conclusion that there were a number of worrying trends and patterns of behaviour which could lead to problems if not addressed. When I tried, as diplomatically as possible, to raise these issues my posts were blocked and I was told, in no uncertain terms, that “we don't do navel gazing”.

What was interesting was that a couple of the worst offenders tried out their tactics here. They were immediately challenged and this had an observable effect on their comportment.

If my memory serves me correctly a researcher actually wrote in and told them he had been monitoring their forum and obtained some interesting data. This was immediately taken as a wind up and scoffed at. Seems it may have been genuine after all.

A final note. Despite the debates that have raged on the pages of this forum for many months all mention down the road has been blocked and there has been no debate whatsoever. Curious eh!

Genghis Cohen
Genghis Cohen

Postby peter » Thu May 05, 2011 12:31 pm

The problems encountered at the AR online forum (see above) have caused the admin to resign : http://www.aronline.co.uk/forum/viewtop ... 20&t=17378

I know how he feels.

Peter
peter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby alex hampshire » Thu May 05, 2011 2:56 pm

Before you jump Peter will you leave me your absinthe?
Alex

alex hampshire

Postby serge » Thu May 05, 2011 3:10 pm

Well, I hope he will have the foresight to take a webcam with him when he does jump .... wouldn't want another 'no proof' lash up like the Yanks with OBL. :roll:
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - William Shakespeare
serge
Super Guru
Super Guru

Postby peter » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:18 pm

Thank you for your deep and genuine concern serge and Alex.

I've been contacted by another of the A-D insiders objecting to posts on this forum and stating "I think you need to put a stop to it."

I've pointed out that the content they object to is from an increasing number of ex A-D members who are angry with some remaining A-D members.

I've pointed out the quandary I have in that I don't believe in censorship (per above) and have asked the writer how they would handle it.

I have had no reply.

In fact, this forum is largely self regulating and fairly calm. I don't intend to start deleting posts and banning members because I, or someone else, doesn't agree with them.

Other forums have more strict terms and conditions. Perhaps I should adopt something like this : http://windows8forums.com/tos/ although I doubt it would change things very much.

Any ideas ?
peter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby alex hampshire » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:33 pm

Peter, you don't need to change anything.
Members here behave reasonably and respect you and how you moderate the forum.
Compare that to AD which is much more heavily censored and moderated and see the problems they have.
Alex

alex hampshire

Postby catalanglais » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:58 pm

I agree with Alex, Peter.

In my opinion, you don't need to change anything here. As an ex-AD poster, I find the lack of censorship and the mutual respect on this forum most refreshing. It's rather nice to be treated as an adult and not to have someone insulting me or making pointed comments every time I post. It is also enjoyable to be able to tease and take the mickey without people taking offence, everyone seems to have a sense of humour and also a level of intelligence which enables them to understand when insults are being exchanged or teasing is taking place.

I am saddened that some people feel the need to write to you to complain about those of us who comment on activities over there, but am heartened that you, at least, have the common courtesy to reply and to make public the comments you have received. Something which is lacking from the other place, as both Alex and I can attest.

As a resident of the PO it is most pleasant to see the increasing number of PO related posts and links. Thank you most sincerely for these.
catalanglais
Super Guru
Super Guru

Postby labonnevie » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:45 pm

I agree. People are setting their own boundaries, thanks to the open adult environment here.
However, the nature of the situation means it's a scab that continually gets picked (apologies for the metaphor). I can see how it's a bit unsatisfactory for you, Peter, as it's not easy to see an end to it, and any unpleasantness is...unpleasant.

What other solution could there be? After all... we are just refugees seeking a homeland....(I'm on a metaphoric roll tonight)
As far as I see a solution requires one of three paths...

Annhiliation - All are prohibited to talk about it online until an underground, meaningful but impotent, resistance movement meets up to get very drunk and weep about the shameful waste and what it was like in the golden age. But requires much policing as new generations of dumbfounded seek refuge in these amiable pages and will need silencing.

Reconciliation - Open dialogue leading to peace talks at AD with the resulting warm invitation for all to return and populate the pages with good humour and friendliness? Although it may be too late for some and the demands would probably not be met. Particularly not the one about the spike.

Assimilation - Become the Languedoc Roussillon Page - A safe haven where all can legitimately post about the places and things they love the best. Where in this promised land there seems to be not a need to mention 'the other place' and we no longer wake screaming in the night because we are all so busy belonging and writing nice things and laughing and being jolly and insightful and intelligent.

This stuff is easy. I should actually be head of the UN.
labonnevie

Postby catalanglais » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:09 am

I'd vote for you! :lol: :lol:

I'm thinking annhiliation (particularly the very drunk bit!) but would probably settle for assimilation.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
catalanglais
Super Guru
Super Guru

Postby labonnevie » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:58 am

...and annhiliation is so much more fun than annihilation....don't knock it 'til you've tried it...

Thanks Cat, I'm working my way up slowly.
labonnevie

Postby jayneg » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:00 am

Feel sorry for Peter (and those who were here before us - I think we may be starting to take up a bit too much space) but love LaBonneVie's post - please don't censor anyone!
jayneg

Postby ianhartley » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:08 pm

Things seemed to have improved and most were looking forward to some peace and sensible discussion until now. The bully has long since been driven out from here and had finally been silenced at the other place. The political refugees that were rehoused here have settled and become useful members of the forum. They now provide useful content rather than fighting a war with A-D.

A post from Ariadne - http://forum.anglophone-direct.com/setopic_10310-.html - yesterday was clearly designed to open old wounds. The admin over there are certainly aware of the identity of this poster and one can only assume it remains with their blessing. It appears to be some sort of taunt to A-D admin to demonstrate maturity by not deleting it.

The army of bitter people jumped to their keyboards to launch attacks against whoever they wanted to believe may be responsible.

Very sad.

Ian

XXXX : Sanctimonious,self -righteous prigs ...
XXXX : ... patronising tosh of that sort ,jon.
XXXX : Once again, Noel totally misses the point
XXXX : ... people of the Goebbels type
XXXX : You are still only grasping half the point though.
XXXX : Hope that you salvage some of your grapes,by the way......
XXXX : ... other people who are not in full posession of the facts ...
XXXX : ... there's no "bullying", or any other silly suggestion ...
XXXX : The fact is that we've never had more active members,never had more postings/visits,and never had such a wide range of subject matter.
YYYY : I did not expect to see the nastiness of the languedoc page creep over here
YYYY : and sometimes more is excessive and makes you sick!!
YYYY : Dont be daft, only a caring, polite person with bags of humility would do that.
ZZZZ : ... I am sure the forum doesnt want to lose more of the genuine, friendly, helpful people.
ianhartley

Re: The Languedoc Forum & the Anglophone Direct website ...

Postby ianhartley » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:28 am

The Real Love Group are generating hatred.

XXXX : The fact is that we've never had more active members,never had more postings/visits,and never had such a wide range of subject matter.
YYYY : I did not expect to see the nastiness of the languedoc page creep over here
YYYY : Dont be daft, only a caring, polite person with bags of humility would do that.
ZZZZ : ... I am sure the forum doesnt want to lose more of the genuine, friendly, helpful people.
ianhartley

Postby Genghis Cohen » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:40 pm

I've seen this thread. It looks like the usual kind of mess.

Why they can't get on top of this kind of contagion beats me. Still it does give us a few laughs. Looks like they've got somebody telling 'em the blindingly obvious and they don't like it. Nothing new there then.

What do they expect when one of their big time contributors has been banned from at least one other forum and is married to a guy who has had more exclusions then I've had hot dinners.

Perhaps they should add "Thickness of skin" to their profile criteria. You need a hide like a rhino to mix with that lot!

Genghis Cohen
Genghis Cohen

Postby ianhartley » Wed May 01, 2013 10:10 am

Seems the other place has had another falling out.

ianhartley

Return to The Languedoc Forum