Internet and TV services

What the manual doesn't tell you !

Internet and TV services

Postby modom » Thu May 15, 2014 11:21 pm

What are the recommended service providers in Herault? Our house doesn't have access to fiber, only a phone line, so DSL would seem to be the route.

Thanks for any help.

modom
modom

Re: Internet and TV services

Postby Londres » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:16 am

I would be really interested in anyone's answers to this question.

I am on an Orange contract connected to DSL in my village. I simply got it by walking into the Orange shop in Beziers.

My Netplus contract includes line rental, internet, phone calls to France and UK/USA etc + Livebox rental. However, it's a pretty stiff 40 euros a month all in - which is more than I pay in London for superfast broadband. I don't know what the position is elsewhere, but most Anglophones in Herault who I have asked seem to be on Orange as well.

If anyone can point to a website with alternatives (preferably in English), I would be very grateful ...
Londres

Postby peter » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:25 am

Not in English, but easy to follow : http://www.degrouptest.com

You enter your address and phone number and it finds the various solutions (and prices) that are available to you.
peter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby derekw » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:12 am

Hi

We are at our holiday home near Limoux.As expected we have now lost all channels from our free Sky service.Just get a no sinal being received message. We dont want to go to the expense of having an ugly 1.5 m dish on our terrace as we watch little TV when on holiday. However,it would be nice to get French channels. Can I receive these by just buying a set top aerial ?

Thanks
derekw

Postby blackduff » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:46 pm

The poster is saying that the 40€ +/- for this system. Remember, the telelphone (French Telephone) is worth about 17€ per month, so it reduces you're paying for your internet costs down to about 23€ per month.

Trying what you paid in London or the type of speed etc. shouldn't you're south of France.

Right now I'm paying about this 40€ too. Here's what I get. I'm into the hills and my amount of speed is usually 5~7 m all of the time. I'm too far for the television within this package but I'm right under a good antennae giving very signals from the French system. My telephone system is paying the price of the hard line telephone from FT. I can call to many, many many countries for free. I use this too. I can telephone in Canada and the US for hard telephones plus the mobile phones in those countries. This is a big promise, since I have family on both countries.

Now, look a big closer what you're paying. I have a cell phone which will be included (if you ask how to make this work). This cell phone gets up to one hour per month without charging this hours talking. AND, I can choose three "special" number can be decided to use ~ free. That's right, I choose my home number, my wife's number and another one more number to decide. So, I mostly call to my house or my wife, this is a great benefit. Few people on the Orange system should use things like this.

Since television (UK especially) can be provided a great system too. I bought a small TV box (G-Box) which gives me ability to watch hours and hours of free television (Filmon.com). I paid the G-Box through the ebay.co.uk and it works brilliant. The G-Box does a whole more things but I'm not smart to get it make it's tricks for me. G-Box works for me but there's a big amounts of similar will give you what you need. Oh yeah, the Filmon.com will give you a big selection of all of the French stations too.

My filmon.com is free but there's often buffering and adverts too. I paid Filmon's account and I pay 99€ per year to get away from the buffering (almost gone) and no adverts all of the time. The signal is usally good too.

Before living the great system in London. Isn't there a limit amount of signals can be used by this wonderfull system in the UK? I think that there is, from what I read on my TV. Hmmm! Maybe this is apples and oranges comparing French vs English internet contracts.

I would always want the fastest ADSL or internet system available. My contract says it will work up to 20 mg but it doesn't. Yet, I have enough speed to use SKYPE, with web cams and meeting phones. That's all free using this Orange contract. This internet I am given is also to provide a good signal on the G-Box signalls too.

Okay, I must also that each time I have a problem with my internet, I call Orange and they send a guy, usually the next day. There are other sellers of the internet around my area but they never respond as well as fast. Our (my wife's getting this fast help) help is by being very polite and they respond with good service.

Probably the best ways to see what you need, is to make a list of what you really need. Our needs are pretty basic but my wife needs fast service for her translation work. Me, I just look around the internet to see what's happening in the rest of the cold parts of the world.

I hope that this helps a bit about Orange et al.

Blackduff
blackduff

Postby Londres » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:38 am

derekw wrote:Hi

We are at our holiday home near Limoux.As expected we have now lost all channels from our free Sky service.Just get a no sinal being received message. We dont want to go to the expense of having an ugly 1.5 m dish on our terrace as we watch little TV when on holiday. However,it would be nice to get French channels. Can I receive these by just buying a set top aerial ?

Thanks

Although I am still looking at changing my service provider, I inevitably have the same satellite problem as well. The Astra 2 satellite link to the UK has effectively gone - and I really don't want an ugly new 1m+ dish on the side of an ancient wall plus the cost to install etc, just to watch British (or any other) TV a few evenings a year.

I can't help with French TV channels, but this week we needed to watch our son appear on University Challenge on BBC2 - without a usable satellite link. We therefore tried tvonholiday.co.uk, which is an amazingly cheap and high quality way of accessing iPlayer in the UK (including live TV programmes). At three pounds for a week (six pounds for a month) it seems good value for those rare occasions you need TV as opposed to internet or DVDs. Frankly, I doubt we will bother with satellite TV now, and simply use the internet by hooking up a laptop to the TV using an HDMI cable.
Londres

Postby peter » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:42 pm

For occasional use, check out tunnelbear https://www.tunnelbear.com/
There is a free monthly allocation after which you pay.

Totally free services come and go. I'm currently using https://zenmate.com
peter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to PC, internet, telephones, & TV