Reception Reports URGENTLY Needed

What the manual doesn't tell you !

Re: Reception Reports URGENTLY Needed

Postby Cevenol » Thu May 01, 2014 10:54 am

Auzonnet valley between Gardon & Cèze 30960
All BBC & ITV channels lost towards end March. Restored by replacing 80cm dish for 130cm parabole from TRIAX. Signal strength is now about 50% and signal quality 80%.
LNB requires 14,5° of clockwise skew.
A big dish that requires a reinforced bracket & bolted right through a blockwork wall.
Cevenol

Postby Genghis Cohen » Sat May 03, 2014 5:36 am

We live on the Cote Vermeille, Up to the change over we needed a 100cm for reliable reception. Then they pulled the plug on us and - zilch. I guess we'd need something from the roof of GCHQ to get a signal now!

In reality little has changed. We've got a good ADSL connection and just had to learn to use the internet effectively. To make it easier we have a dedicated PC linked directly to the TV, an internet radio and subscribe to a decent VPN. Total cost was 80 Euros for the radio and 50 bucks a year for the VPN.

I read about people down here spending serious money on monster rigs or using all sorts of exotice devices to watch UK TV on tablets etc. I'm old enough to remember when TV screens were the size of a postage stamp and the arrival of the 21 inch set was seen as a triumph of technology. Now, at least for some of us, things have gone full circle. Give me a big screen, full HD and Dolby sound any time.

GC
Genghis Cohen

Postby montgolfiere » Sat May 10, 2014 4:58 pm

just sent the 'Walnut Veneered' Cabinet, of my Families 1st.TV, to the 'Saleroom' as we clear my Mother's House. It had been converted into a Drinks Cabinet some 40 years ago....I must say watching UK FTA TV on my smartphone on my Sofa in France is somewhat Bizarre.
The Monty Python Your Lucky......you live in a...... 'Cardboard Box Sketch'....... keeps coming into my Head.
montgolfiere

Postby peter » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:25 pm

Like most I lost UK channels last spring but recovered them end summer. I had a weakening of channels and no HD recently.

Finally getting round to upgrading my satellite installation I am now getting 80% signal strength and 100% quality with all channels well received.

I am in 34160 Saussines (https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sauss ... 21166abca0 ) and now have a 1m Gibertini dish with Inverto Black Ultra Twin LNB.
peter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby peter » Mon May 11, 2015 9:03 pm

All well in storms and this week with my new Gibertini 1m dish.

Seems the signal is suddenly variable as it was last year.

Midway Montpellier - Nimes - coast - Cevennes
peter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Brian and Helen » Tue May 12, 2015 10:32 am

Wow, Peter, do you need planning permission for a 14m dish?

B :D
One day has arrived!
Brian and Helen

Postby peter » Tue May 12, 2015 10:04 pm

Oops

Should be 1m dish !
peter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to PC, internet, telephones, & TV