Emissions sticker

Questions and answers

Emissions sticker

Postby anneb » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:25 am

I've just read in the press that apparently cars have to display an emission sticker, I believe only when travelling through Paris, Lyon and Grenoble, or they face on the spot fines. Apparently people are having problems and six week waits to get this sticker ! Initially we thought this must be an April Fool since we first heard about it in the Mail today, but no, there is an article about it on the RAC website last January.

We never travel through those towns but I find it annoying that this kind of information isn't publicised more. Not everyone is a member of the RAC, not everyone reads the Mail (I don't except online if I'm bored !). There's nothing on the Eurotunnel website, nothing on the AA, about this. Very strange.

Hope some other members of the forum are still around to read this !

all the best,
Anne
anneb

Re: Emissions sticker

Postby Genghis Cohen » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:30 pm

Hi anneb

I'm still here! Seven people had already looked at this when I saw it so the forum is not totally dead.

May I assume you have a UK registered car? If so I suspect that you won't have a problem. When I have a second I'll do a bit of digging and post what I find.

Nice to know people are still looking here. It would be great if we could revive this forum. I sometimes look at the Facebook page and, to be frank, it does very little for me. So if there is anybody else out there why not log in and have your say. I greatly enjoy living in France and would love to be able to share my experiences with other Francophiles.

Genghis
Genghis Cohen

Postby anneb » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:45 pm

Yes we have a UK registered car Genghis.

I'm glad that there are still some of us around on the forum. I don't use Facebook, I much prefer the forum format and way of communicating, but such a pity people are not logging on here so much.
anneb

Postby peter » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:30 pm

I'll put a note on FB about this ...
peter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Genghis Cohen » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:53 pm

Hello anneb

I’ve done a bit of digging. These links may help.

This is a detailed description of the proposed system:-

http://www.lemonde.fr/pollution/article ... 52666.html

This is fairly up to date and covers the current situation in Paris and Lyon:-

http://www.rtl.fr/actu/societe-faits-di ... 7786860805

And here is how you apply for a sticker. Don’t know what happens if your car is not French registered!

Enforcing this on foreign registered vehicles might be a bit difficult. I’d imagine that if your vehicle comes within the age limits then, provided you have the registration document, no problem.

Hope this helps

Genghis
Genghis Cohen

Postby anneb » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:33 pm

Thanks for the links Genghis.

It would appear, if my French is correct, that it's only if wanting to drive in Paris or Lyon, and then only during the day time, that one would need one of these stickers. We don't drive through either of those cities, not even at night. I wish, though, that there was more information for 'foreigners' about this. I'm sure many Brits may come unstuck becasue of this.

bw's
Anne
anneb

Postby Brian and Helen » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:23 pm

To be fair, Anne, it has been mentioned a number of times in other papers, including the Times and the Guardian. How would you suggest it be publicised outside the media? What mechanism could be used?
It's like having hi-viz jackets, breathylisers, warning triangle, carnet for Switzerland - one has to expect that any motorist taking their car abroad will have enough common sense to make basic checks before going. "Old hands" like us are probably more prone than most to omission because we've done it so often, we think we know the score, but it sometimes catches you out!
Interestingly, there was quite a lengthy discussion on another forum when a holiday-home owner wondered if she should forewarn her guests of the requirement - I thought it was good idea, others thought it was condescending; you can't win.
By the way, the new sticker isn't required on the Peripherique, so drivers taking that route need not worry.

Cheers
Brian
(Agree with you about the forum, Genghis, and about the FB page)
One day has arrived!
Brian and Helen

Postby anneb » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:32 am

Hi Brian - I would have thought it would be mentioned on the Shuttle and other Channel crossing websites. There's nothing on the Shuttle site. I also checked the AA, nothing there on their website in the section on things you need for France. Perhaps as more cities implement this there will be more publicity about it.

all the best,
Anne
anneb

Postby Brian and Helen » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:40 pm

Well absolutely, Anne. It cannot be beyond human intelligence for those companies involved in tourist car transport to include such advice prominently in their much-vaunted customer care websites. Perhaps I'm expecting too much of them, but some pointed reminders might stir their hibernating brains into action. I suppose they'll take refuge in "caveat emptor", but as I said on that other forum, it can't do any harm and it will probably do quite a lot of good.

Brian
One day has arrived!
Brian and Helen

Postby Genghis Cohen » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:59 pm

Just a thought. What is the position with the Dartford Crossing? the last time I used it was several years back and there were toll booths. I understand it now works on number plate recognition technology and a pre-paid system. However, from what I can see on the web, the system can't handle non-Uk registered vehicles which thus escape paying.

Is this correct?

Genghis
Genghis Cohen

Postby Brian and Helen » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:51 pm

Yes I've wondered this myself, Genghis. You are supposed to pay by phone or at specified outlets, but with a foreign registration will they find you? I believe that the latest legislation allows the authorities to identify foreign cars and their owners for collection of such charges and thus to pursue you in France. More worrying, if you don't pay, then the next time your reg number appears in the UK, they'll pounce (police cars, blues & twos, the full shebang!)

On the other hand, I think the tolling is managed by SANEF, so if you've got an autoroute transponder, it might work at Dartford (but I doubt it, that would be too convenient and sensible).

Brian
One day has arrived!
Brian and Helen

Postby Genghis Cohen » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:41 am

Thanks for that B&H.

I remember reading somewhere that the EU was looking at some form of cross border mechanism so that fines etc. above a certain limit could be enforced. Don't know if it was ever implemented.

Genghis
Genghis Cohen

Postby peter » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:58 pm

There have been various proposals for improved cross border information sharing over the years.

I can confirm that the Benelux system worked well as early as 1990. Germany to Belgium or France didn't !

There is a procedure but it is manual and largely ignored. I talked to the legal adviser to Red Ken about the London congestion charge and foreign plates shortly after it was introduced ( I had a particular interest you will understand !). His response was that Ken was very worried about this, but other than following the established procedures little could be done. He used the example of a fixed penalty from UK arriving (in English) at a rural Italian police station being unlikely to be followed up.

I will ask the question on the FB page https://www.facebook.com/groups/3336035598
peter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to The knowledge base