New laptop

Questions and answers

New laptop

Postby bib » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:13 pm

I need to buy a new one asap but want and English keyboard and English language as my French is virtually non-existent. I need one quickly as I transfer money from the UK on line and understand I am the only person who can do this.

Also how do I transfer files? I bought my present one in the UK and it was a school laptop when they upgraded. I have no disc drive nor manual and I think only one cable? I am not technically minded at all!
bib

Re: New laptop

Postby Brian and Helen » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:26 pm

An English keyboard will be difficult to find, but you can reset a French keyboard to English language. Some of the keys are in different positions, so at first you have to look around a bit, but it gets very easy very quickly.
If you don't know techie stuff, get someone in to transfer your files and set it up for you. It will cost you a few Euros, but will (probably) save your sanity. Whereabouts are you, I might know someone, depending on your area.

Brian
One day has arrived!
Brian and Helen

Re: New laptop

Postby Christopher » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:30 pm

Apple allows you to buy laptops etc with French plugs and English keyboards/OS. Dell may also allow this, iirc. But buying a QWERTY laptop in France otherwise won't be easy - try on Amazon or Ebay, perhaps.
Also, you can always buy an English Qwerty keyboard and OS later.
Regards
Chris Ward

http://eatsleepcookschool.wordpress.com - The true story of the year I spent learning how to be a professional cook at catering school in Avignon, Provence, while working as a dishwasher.
Christopher

Return to The knowledge base