Next door.

Free discussion area

Next door.

Postby Genghis Cohen » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:33 pm

Thanks for reading this.

Have you been looking at the Languedoc Page on Facebook? It's been a bit chaotic recently. It has been said that, in polite society, one does not discuss religion or politics. A rule which several Facebook groups and forums adopt, nay enforce.

As far as public media are concerned it's a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't. Limit the topics up for discussion and you end up with an insipid mix. Allow a free for all and you risk the whirlwind.

Peter has been, as ever, tolerant. But even his patience knows limits. At the end of the day it is us, the contributors, who must exercise a degree of restraint. Along with the right to free expression goes the responsibility not to give gratuitous offence. Until we master this simple concept we will not get very far and many more people will be discouraged from joining than will risk participating.

Any thoughts?

GC
Genghis Cohen

Re: Next door.

Postby gurubarry » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:41 am

I agree 100% . Facebook is instant , but like a lot of spontaneous behavior , some contributors confuse their pre-formed and strongly held beliefs and opinions as "The Truth!" . They react in a verbally violent and totally unreasonable manner to the slightest criticism, and of course provoke a mirror reaction and attack from others . Alliances form , and before you know it , a flame war breaks out . I have been sucked into this , and I try really hard not to be too "Clever and Funny" ( self delusion is my corner!) . Peter was in N.Z. for the last flame war ,but on return got the page sorted in no time flat . He really should be PM IMHO ! I do hope the Forum regains it's previous glory ...the fact that there has "Usually" been a tacit agreement to stay "Normal" on here , has been nice . I will continue to use both sites as and when .... and Thank you Peter for all your work ! :D
Moved here 11 Years ago , love it , love Life here.
gurubarry
Super Guru
Super Guru

Postby peter » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:30 am

gurubarry wrote:I agree 100% . Facebook is instant , but like a lot of spontaneous behavior , some contributors confuse their pre-formed and strongly held beliefs and opinions as "The Truth!" . They react in a verbally violent and totally unreasonable manner to the slightest criticism, and of course provoke a mirror reaction and attack from others . Alliances form , and before you know it , a flame war breaks out . I have been sucked into this , and I try really hard not to be too "Clever and Funny" ( self delusion is my corner!) . Peter was in N.Z. for the last flame war ,but on return got the page sorted in no time flat . He really should be PM IMHO ! I do hope the Forum regains it's previous glory ...the fact that there has "Usually" been a tacit agreement to stay "Normal" on here , has been nice . I will continue to use both sites as and when .... and Thank you Peter for all your work ! :D

Creep !
peter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby gurubarry » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:39 pm

I'm ever so 'umble Mr. Ward Cur ...would yew loik a sweetie ? . He can handle ANYTHING ...except compliments ... :twisted:
Moved here 11 Years ago , love it , love Life here.
gurubarry
Super Guru
Super Guru

Postby Christopher » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:43 pm

gurubarry wrote:I'm ever so 'umble Mr. Ward Cur ...would yew loik a sweetie ? . He can handle ANYTHING ...except compliments ... :twisted:

Should I understand what you're on about?
Regards
Chris Ward

http://eatsleepcookschool.wordpress.com - The true story of the year I spent learning how to be a professional cook at catering school in Avignon, Provence, while working as a dishwasher.
Christopher

Postby peter » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:12 pm

Confused me too ?
peter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby peter » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:14 pm

Against my held views I had to delete a few belligerants on the FB page but it seems to have been sorted OK
peter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Christopher » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:24 am

Perhaps there IS such a thing as too much rosé after all?
Regards
Chris Ward

http://eatsleepcookschool.wordpress.com - The true story of the year I spent learning how to be a professional cook at catering school in Avignon, Provence, while working as a dishwasher.
Christopher

Return to The postbox