Where to live.

Free discussion area

Where to live.

Postby salisbury » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:22 pm

We are looking for a canal or riverside market town with a strong hopefully fun multi national expat community.
We had a lot of French friends when we lived on a yacht in the Caribbean but we did enjoy the fact that we had a very varied international group sailing around.
We would like to buy a riverside house in or on the outskirts as I we love to be able to cycle or walk to the market or for a meal.
Any suggestions gratefully received.

Tim and Pauline
salisbury

Re: Where to live.

Postby Genghis Cohen » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:09 pm

An interesting question. I live in the PO where there are no canals or navigable rivers. However, if you have a background in yachting, then one of the seaside towns with a marina might be of interest.

In my limited experience, vibrant multi national ex-pat communities are a bit thin on the ground. Sure, there are an awful number of non-French people living here either part time or permanently. But the anglophones tend to keep a relatively low profile and are a bit cautious about who they include in their social networks. Just because somebody shares your languauge does not necessarily make him or her your next new best friend ever.

Having said all that I decamped to the Languedoc Rousillon region nearly a quarter of a century ago and have never once regretted the move.

Hope that helps

GC
Genghis Cohen

Postby peter » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:35 am

Aigues Mortes might fit the bill.
peter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby anneb » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:21 pm

What about Agde ? There's the Canal du Midi and it's on the Mediterranean coast too. Not sure about expat community.
anneb

Postby Brian and Helen » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:07 am

Marseillan is popular with the yachting crowd and i believe it has a large expat community. It always seems pretty lively as well.
One day has arrived!
Brian and Helen

Postby Lauren » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:43 pm

Homps, Ventenac en Minervois, Le Somiel et La Redorte all by the Canal de Midi
Depending on your budget I know of houses for sale in those villages?
Lauren

Return to The postbox