Does anybody else feel the same?

Free discussion area

Does anybody else feel the same?

Postby Genghis Cohen » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:58 pm

I don't know if anybody reads this any more. It seems most of the traffic has moved to Facebook. Personally I'm not over enamoured with FB. Topics come and go in a flash. Adverts mixed up with more serious stuff. Totally linear. No conversation seems to last more than a couple of days.

Not the place, in my opinion, for discussing things like the powder keg next door. AKA the Catalan problem.

I'm writing this in the vague hope that it my strike a chord elsewhere. Any thoughts welcome.

Genghis
Genghis Cohen

Re: Does anybody else feel the same?

Postby anneb » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:57 pm

I'm still reading the forum Genghis. It's a shame not much traffic here anymore. I don't like FB either so I don't go on it.
anneb

Postby Genghis Cohen » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:55 am

Hi Anneb

What a pleasant surprise! So I'm not alone in my thinking. Next question is - can we revive the forum. Are there yet more people out there who share our views?

Regards

Genghis
Genghis Cohen

Postby anneb » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:23 am

I always let people know about the forum, that is people who might be interested, for example English friends who have a house in the Languedoc or nearby - but maybe they don't have anything they want to discuss ?

Perhaps we just have to start topics ? Maybe we're all happy with no problems or questions ?

We're thinking of selling our place and buying a village house….I'm sure I'll be starting lots of topics if we go ahead with that ! We're not doing it yet though, far too much hassle, but it's been prompted by bro who wants out of the house which we inherited. He can't force us to sell, at least not easily, I checked French law. However, if we did go ahead I can't imagine how one co-ordinates these things in France, ie selling one place and buying another at the same time - unless a person has plenty of funds that could be very problematic. One might be left with nowhere for ages or with two houses for years which would be a nightmare !
anneb

Postby peter » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:10 am

I keep an eye on this. Members who have visited in the last 30 days are :

Albert
alex hampshire
anneb
Brian and Helen
Celestine
Christopher
franilong
Genghis Cohen
graham34
hesfordj
iargoaparth
Kathy
peter
The Saint
Tom&Ger
Tuchan

Of course there are huge numbers of non members, too.

The forum layout is much more usable in terms of finding topics, search and producing statistics. Forums are also picked up by google search whereas FB isn't. Unfortunately the great unwashed prefer FB. It is easier to post photos and share items but hard to search and follow threads.

I guess the forum has gone the way of bulletin boards, google groups, yahoo groups, msn groups etc and fallen out of fashion.

It really is a case of use it or lose it. Without new material it will eventually die naturally.

I'm open to ideas :-)
peter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby peter » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:07 am

anneb wrote:I always let people know about the forum, that is people who might be interested, for example English friends who have a house in the Languedoc or nearby - but maybe they don't have anything they want to discuss ?

Perhaps we just have to start topics ? Maybe we're all happy with no problems or questions ?

We're thinking of selling our place and buying a village house….I'm sure I'll be starting lots of topics if we go ahead with that ! We're not doing it yet though, far too much hassle, but it's been prompted by bro who wants out of the house which we inherited. He can't force us to sell, at least not easily, I checked French law. However, if we did go ahead I can't imagine how one co-ordinates these things in France, ie selling one place and buying another at the same time - unless a person has plenty of funds that could be very problematic. One might be left with nowhere for ages or with two houses for years which would be a nightmare !

Your question answered on FB !

I am so busy a forum would be just another place to go, so I think I wouldn't look. However I took a peek and I saw someone was worrying about selling and buying and potentially having no-where to live or worse still two houses. I have bought and sold several times in France (my husband has been resident here 40 years, my parents 15 years, me 20 years and we have all moved around) and its not a problem at all. In the compromis de vente you just have a clause suspensive which states that you cannot buy if you haven't sold, and the notaires and agents line it all up. Similar to the standard clause suspensive which states you cannot buy if you don't get a mortgage (which can be deleted if you don't need a mortgage).

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3336035598
peter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby gurubarry » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:07 pm

Met up with Peter Saturday and we chatted about this. I think it's laziness on peoples part that stops them visiting . So easy to pop into Facebook, but FB isn't the same as a good forum IMHO . How about a "JOG" sticky on Face Book reminding users of the forum and extolling it's usefulness ?

Hope it continues, will log in daily to see what happens . :mrgreen:
Moved here 11 Years ago , love it , love Life here.
gurubarry
Super Guru
Super Guru

Postby anneb » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:54 pm

peter wrote:Your question answered on FB !

…... In the compromis de vente you just have a clause suspensive which states that you cannot buy if you haven't sold, and the notaires and agents line it all up. Similar to the standard clause suspensive which states you cannot buy if you don't get a mortgage (which can be deleted if you don't need a mortgage).

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3336035598

Wow -many thanks for that Peter ! Now that is interesting ! Makes the thought of selling and buying one little bit less stressful to entertain in our minds.

Hey but does that also mean you are on FB ?!?! I was unable to log on to that FB post because I'm not a member of FB.
anneb

Postby peter » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:57 pm

I started a couple of "The Languedoc Page" FB accounts very early.

They took a while to develop, but the current FB "The Languedoc Page" group has 1500+ members and is quite active.

It is here : https://www.facebook.com/groups/3336035598
peter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Genghis Cohen » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:57 am

Given that there is evidence that this forum is still being viewed, and far from moribund, may I make a suggestion?

I respectfully propose that the section entitled 'The Postbox' be heavily pruned. If this is too drastic then at least remove the thread entitled "xxx is at it again". With the benefit of hindsight it was not the brightest idea in the world. I am guilty for having contributed. I should have known better. But it is a veritable blot on the landscape and, in my opinion, could deter others from participating.

Genghis Cohen
Genghis Cohen

Postby Brian and Helen » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:52 pm

I have to agree with you, Genghis, about the XXX posts. I have only had peripheral contact with the subject, but it was quite unpleasant, and I do find it off-putting.
I also have an issue with being "logged out" every time I visit, I know it only takes seconds to log in again, but it's an irritation (perhaps IOS doesn't want to encourage me? :D )

Brian
One day has arrived!
Brian and Helen

Postby gurubarry » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:11 pm

xxx is my link ...lol... and I have not the faintest idea what it is all about .... just it is the main reason personified as to why I keep my distance . But on a civilized level you are right G.C. :o
Moved here 11 Years ago , love it , love Life here.
gurubarry
Super Guru
Super Guru

Return to The postbox