Mosquitos

Free discussion area

Mosquitos

Postby chessman58 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:10 pm

Hi All - I'm new to this site but I'm so glad I found it.
Anyway, my question is: I've been going to my place near Pezenas on and off for about 15 years and can honestly say I've never had a mozzie bite.
But last week, we were plagued with them. Has anyone else experienced this change recently?
It would be a real shame if it became a permanent feature because evenings outside in summer are the very reason I love it so much.
Neil
chessman58

Re: Mosquitos

Postby anneb » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:06 am

Hi Neil,

That's very strange becasue here in Surrey we are plagued with mozzies - or some kind of biting gnat - there are an extraordinary number of them around this past month or so. Everyone is remarking on them. They cling to the windows and walls of the houses too at certain times of day - ghastly ! I've been putting insect repellant on whenever I go outside in the garden. I'll pack it for when we come to Clermont l'Hérault………

Anne
anneb

Postby graham34 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:31 pm

chessman58 wrote:Anyway, my question is: I've been going to my place near Pezenas on and off for about 15 years and can honestly say I've never had a mozzie bite.

Welcome Neil. We're 13 Km north of Pezenas. Biggest problem here was tiny mosquitoes in the bedroom at night (usually in June). I say was, as this hasn't been a big problem for 8+ years. Before then we needed to use those plug in insecticides at night - effective but not sure how healthy they are.
graham34

Postby Genghis Cohen » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:54 pm

We have a place near Lodeve. Mossies used to be a problem but not know. Fingers crossed. In part maybe due to the campaigns urging people not to create breeding grounds.

GC
Genghis Cohen

Postby Brian and Helen » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:02 pm

Haven't seen them much around Magalas yet, but they're all over Montagnac as usual.
Perhaps the late Spring, followed by quantities of sunshine and rain, has had an effect on their hatchings?

(I did hear that the Greens had tried to veto the annual spraying, but I believe it has gone ahead anyway.)

Brian
One day has arrived!
Brian and Helen

Postby chessman58 » Mon May 11, 2015 9:47 am

Thank you for the replies everyone. I'm hoping it was just a blip. I will let you know how it goes in the summer!
chessman58

Postby anneb » Mon May 11, 2015 12:01 pm

We're here now and there's no mozzies in Clermont. Lots of bees around the beautiful wild flowers. We went to the chapel at Cardonnet near Aumelas today, right up in the 'wilds' and all we could hear was the buzzing of dozens of different insects with some bird songs as well, it was wonderful. Made me realise how 'noisy' the world was with insects and birds before man made it noisy with cars etc.

Anne
anneb

Postby Brian and Helen » Mon May 11, 2015 7:31 pm

Tell me about it, Annie, I can hardly hear myself think for the bloody nightingale singing his heart out in the tree by my terrasse!

Brian :wink:
One day has arrived!
Brian and Helen

Postby montgolfiere » Thu May 14, 2015 2:52 pm

We have all the Windows we require to open at night 'Netted'. Some fixed and some roller Nets....we have alwys had Mosquitos to some degree around here in the Spring / Summer in Rennes les Bains, ...... although it does vary from year to year. just make sure there are no 'water deposits' around where they can breed, we have a river so cannot eliminate them totally but they dont like running water.
montgolfiere

Return to The postbox