Do we need a re-think?

Free discussion area

Do we need a re-think?

Postby Genghis Cohen » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:06 pm

It is now over a month since anybody posted anything in the free discussion area. It has seemed for some time that this forum is slowly withering away. A while back it appeared that Facebook was the future. But,if i am right, it is not. Facebook is totally linear. Topics piled on one another. Fine for the wham, bam, thank you m'am conversations. But try finding something you saw a week back on a busy FB page.

So maybe the forum concept has a future after all. I suspect that part of the historic problem on here is that a small number of us, myself included, used this forum to criticise the way a certain individual used ex-pat orientated social media. In retrospect a bad tactic as it simply alienated those who were neither affected or interested. We overplayed our hand. Maybe won the battle but we lost the war.

I am starting to think that there is a place for a re-vamped Languedoc Forum on the social-media scene. One with just a few categories. A place where those of us who have a genuine interest in living in this beautiful part of France can have grown up discussions.

Does anybody out there share this view or have anything to add? Or am I talking balderdash?

Genghis Cohen
Genghis Cohen

Re: Do we need a re-think?

Postby peter » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:59 pm

I'm not sure the XXX thread is to blame. It is part of a natural progression from bulletin boards to forums to FB. The majority of forums are struggling.

This forum has lots of topics opened each day (found via google) but most have gone to the FB version : https://www.facebook.com/groups/3336035598

I also prefer the format, search facility etc of forums but FB is much easier to use, add photos etc. There is a FB search facility but it is not as effective as forum layout + search. The forum allows you to read topics that interest you and easily follow them ... FB doesn't. I did say in my Xmas newsletter I would probably freeze it (allowing google searchers to use the info) but focus on FB.
peter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby anneb » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:23 pm

It is sad that people don't write so much here now but it seems the way things have gone on the internet. I'm on several health forums and they have all suffered a loss in traffic over the past couple of years. I believe it's to do with the proliferation of forums and other social media which dilutes the ones that were there in the beginning. I don't use FB, don't like the short message format, it's the same with other social media, I prefer forums like this. I'm sticking around here so hope you keep it open Peter.
anneb

Postby peter » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:11 am

Post, Post, Post !
peter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to The postbox