British Food ...

Free discussion area

Re: British Food ...

Postby gurubarry » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:26 pm

There's a MASSIVE one outside of Laverune ....... :blackeye:
Moved here 11 Years ago , love it , love Life here.
gurubarry
Super Guru
Super Guru

Postby Brian and Helen » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:42 pm

gurubarry wrote:There's a MASSIVE one outside of Laverune ....... :blackeye:

Tha' be orl right for 'ee city volks, but I'm damned if I'm going to drive all the way up there every week for my fix!

Brian
One day has arrived!
Brian and Helen

Postby anneb » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:01 pm

foudanglais wrote:The café serves good tea and coffee with real milk and I would love to meet you all, even the person who finds it embarrassing and will never speak English in Clermont again, I promise to speak to you only in French!

That's me ! We will defnitley pop in to your café when we're next in Clermont - hopefully September. Now I feel embarrased to have written what I wrote with you on here !
Anne and Mark :)
Last edited by anneb on Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
anneb

Postby Las-Cobas » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:28 pm

You can always order excellent Pork sausages from, Tim Rose : http://www.mistersaucisse.fr

He is at: Quillan (Saturday & Wednesday morning)

Mirepoix (Monday morning) - Under the "bandstand"

Olonzac (Tuesday morning) - Under the "bandstand"

Esperaza (Sunday morning) - Next to the Nems and Chinese food wagon

Great Bangers :lol: :lol:
“Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.”

Gremlin.
Las-Cobas
Super Guru
Super Guru

Postby Genghis Cohen » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:54 am

Like Jonathan said. It's been tried before and almost always failed. Why? Because the majority of Brits living down here are Francophiles. We live here because it is our choice We're not refugees always dreaming of our lost homeland and desperate to recreate it on foreign soil.

I've got a house near Clermont but I doubt I will ever patronise this venture. Any more than I ever crossed the threshold of Cooper's Epicerie in Argeles. Despite the fact I drove past it at least once a week.

This stuff just does not interest us. We can do without Heinz Beans, HP Sauce et al. As for sausages. Simple. If you really cannot do without British Bangers then buy a decent mincing machine with a sausage fillling attachment and make your own. We do, and they taste fabulous!

Genghis Cohen

PS Having reviewed what I've written I think a postscript is in order. I am not being negative, just pragmatic. Last time we were in the UK with a car we brought back a box of edible goodies. All of them Asian food items which you just cannot buy here. Including a catering pack of mango chutney. But no ethnic British stuff.
Genghis Cohen

Postby Sandra » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:11 pm

The english tea shop in Pezenas was successful, it closed down because the girls wished to return to the UK and unfortunately nobody wanted to buy the established business but it was profitable. The french loved the afternoon teas and lots of local french used the shop.

good luck and if I am ever near Clermont I will pop in.
Sandra

Postby Sandra » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:22 pm

it may be worth looking at the suppliers for the Costa Brava ie lloret, calella etc as there are so many english pubs serving english food, and they may be cheaper than french suppliers.

Hellmans is the best mayo but it has to be in a jar, it tastes different in the plastic bottle ! ( i don't like mustard which is in most french versions).

after a weekend in the UK eating an amazing curry, tender fillet steak, breakfast with bacon from the local butcher..... I can't wait to have a nice salad tonight..
Sandra

Postby Brian and Helen » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:48 pm

Still foudanglais stocks Polo mints - a Godsend!

(Those with horses will understand the importance of this) :wink:

Brian
One day has arrived!
Brian and Helen

Postby maxou » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:57 am

Are there no coffee roasters up in l'Herault?

Café Bibal in St Aunes.

Or, as gurubarry pointed out, one of my favourite local landmarks: The Carte Noir tower! :lol:
maxou

Postby gurubarry » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:41 pm

Well done maxou :D ...We know when it will rain as the wonderful aroma drifts down to our quartier , heaven :drunken:
gurubarry
Super Guru
Super Guru

Postby one over the 8 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:38 pm

Sandra you can buy large jars of Hellmans in the large Escudero, Le Jonquera, Spain for around 1.80€. The same sized jar would cost around 4.50€ in France. I too hate mayo which contains mustard.
one over the 8

English Sausages

Postby hesfordj » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:58 am

Here's the latest news from Mister Saucisse, AKA Tim Rose. He's based near Carcassonne so if you don't live in the PO there are easier ways to get the sausages.

Summer is with us and we are well into the barbecue season. What better than an English style banger sizzling away over the hot coals?

I'm coming back down to the Pyrenees Orientales on Thursday, 16th of August with a selection of my fine English sausages for the discerning customer. All bangers are hand made by me in the Aude.

The sausages I'm making this time are:

The Tasty - a typical English breakfast sausage, great for a brunch
The Traditional - sausages like they used to be with a subtle mix of herbs and a hint of nutmeg
The Pyrenean Cumberland - our speciality having trained in Cumbria.
Pork and Leek - no small crumbs of leek, we use great big bits!
Jalapeno - mexican chillis for a bit of exotic heat

Plus some specials:
London - sea salt, cracked black pepper and sage with a pinch of nutmeg
Oxford - Yet another great county sausage. The original recipe from the 18th Century was made with pork and veal. This recipe is specially designed for pork. It is packed with herbs and lots of ground black and white pepper and other traditional ground spices.

All at 5 euros per packet for six big bangers. Sausage meat also available for making stuffing, sausage rolls, scotch eggs...... I may also have some bacon available - hand rubbed, dry cured back bacon.

I only use shoulder meat, the best cut for making sausages (no "yucky bits"), and add no fat. The sausages are made in my small manufacturing facility in the Aude, Languedoc Rousillon. Visitors are always welcome (phone ahead to make sure I'm in) and I will make you a great cup of tea.

I never use frozen pork, only fresh. Sausages are ideal for the freezer.

I will be appearing at the following drop off points:
0900 - 0915 St Paul de Fenouillet, main square behind the bus stop
1115 - 1145 Prades, behind the big blue Chambre de Commerce building on the way into the town
1230 - 1315 The Domaine Treloar, Trouillas where Jon and Rachel are very kindly hosting me
1415 - 1445 Behind the Salle Polyvalente, St Jean Pla de Corts (hopefully more handy for those living in the Ceret / Argeles areas)
1530 - 1600 Stade Gilbert Brutus, Perpignan - in front of the old main entrance to the Catalan Dragons ground

Please PRE ORDERS ONLY. Orders as soon as possible please!

Please tell your friends, both Anglophone and French.

Many thanks for reading.

Best wishes

Tim
www.mistersaucisse.fr
Jonathan
www.domainetreloar.com
Vineyard, Winery and Accomodation
hesfordj

Postby foudanglais » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:24 pm

Anyone in the Montpellier area needing a British Food Fix ?! I am delivering Thursday evening to Montpellier, frozen and normal groceries, please contact me if you are interested contact@foudanglais.fr or call the shop 04 30 40 29 54
Victoria Capon Bowen
Fou D'Anglais -Food From Home
www.foudanglais.fr
foudanglais

Postby peter » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:53 am

LIDL British week Wednesday 10 October 2012

The usual selection of Brit stuff and often not exactly the same as in the ad ...

Starving Brits will once again join the 09.00 struggle to secure the limited stock of €0.49 baked beans I imagine !

http://www.lidl.fr/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_fr ... date=34390
peter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Christopher » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:16 pm

British Style Jog Hurt! Yum!
Regards
Chris Ward

http://eatsleepcookschool.wordpress.com - The true story of the year I spent learning how to be a professional cook at catering school in Avignon, Provence, while working as a dishwasher.
Christopher

Postby Christopher » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:13 pm

Plenty of beans left in Sommieres and Quissac this lunchtime, despite the passage of at least three English shoppers. Not much uptake on the frozen fish and chips either.
Regards
Chris Ward

http://eatsleepcookschool.wordpress.com - The true story of the year I spent learning how to be a professional cook at catering school in Avignon, Provence, while working as a dishwasher.
Christopher

Postby peter » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:16 pm

4 tins of beans had been sold in Sommieres when I passed by at 10.00.

I've had a call from someone who bought 12 tins around 12.00.

Not really a feeding frenzy this time ?
peter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby peter » Wed May 22, 2013 8:46 pm

peter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby montgolfiere » Wed May 29, 2013 9:04 am

'Simply British' in Foix has been going many years and is very successful. In fact they opened a second branch in St Girons last year.
I know Supermarkets sell some stuff but a such RIP-OFF PRICES. i refuse to buy from them. They are just PROFITEERING. eg. French Jam in a UK Supermarket is not 3 times the price it is in a French Supermarket. I actually would be happy if everyone BOYCOTTED the UK Goods from these rip off merchants.
montgolfiere

Postby peter » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:18 pm

I've come across Epicerie Barenton, the British Butchers shop in Normandie whilst eating at other peoples houses. The stuff was good, and the delivery (in ice) seems reliable.
They are announcing Xmas products, but they also have the normal range of bacon, pies, sausages etc.

Perhaps people might want to do a joint order to save the delivery ? I could be persuaded to put my hand in my pocket :wink:

I've received this by email :

Hello, this is Epicerie Barenton, the British Butchers shop in Normandie.

We are pleased to announce that the Christmas products are now available to order on our website. You can now place an order that includes Turkey Crowns, Whole Turkeys, Game Pies etc., lots of lovely juicy meaty products for your Christmas table.

Also popular this time of year are the special cuts of meat like whole beef rib and whole gammon legs.

We are pleased to say that the prices for almost all of these products remain the same as Christmas 2012, we have done our very best to sustain the best prices we can whilst upholding our quality values.

Any order placed now that includes any of these Christmas products will be held and dispatched in entirety once the game and turkey is in season towards the end of November. We will be in touch closer to the time with an exact planned delivery date.

Just like previous years we plan to send out most of the Christmas orders towards the end of November, please we encourage you to order early so that we can send you your order in November. We cannot guarantee December delivery if the snowfall arrives as it often does in France in the first and second week of December.

Remember that any order placed to a product value of 150€ receives free delivery so join with friends and family to benefit from free delivery.

You can place your order on line at www.epiceriebarenton.com or call us on 02.33.51.33.72

Jeremy and Lisa Cooper
Epicerie Barenton 02.33.51.33.72
The home of Barenton Bangers & Barenton Bacon
Order on line for home delivery all over France www.epiceriebarenton.com
peter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby peter » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:42 pm

Hello, this is Epicerie Barenton, the British Butchers shop in Normandie.

Epicerie Barenton 2 rue Robert Schuman Barenton, 50720
You can contact us by.
Email Address: epi@epiceriebarenton.com
Telephone: 02 33 51 33 72
Fax: 02 33 61 05 12

Christmas is fast approaching; with only 8 weeks to go now is the time to think about placing your Christmas order with us.

We expect to be able to start sending Christmas orders out during November, probably in the 3rd and 4th week when the game and turkey comes into season.

Please find attached to this email a catalogue version of our products, becuase we now produce so many products you may find it easier to browse this than looking at each page on the website. Also please feel free to send this email onto friends and family so they too can use the catalogue. Orders with a product value of 150€+ are free delivery so join with friends and family to benefit from this.

If you would like to place an order please go to our website or you can order over the phone on 02 33 51 33 72 (please note our phones will now become very busy for the coming weeks, leave your name and number on the answer machine and we will call you back as soon as we can).

TO AVOID DELAYS THAT CAN OCCUR DUE TO SNOW PLEASE PLACE YOUR CHRISTMAS ORDER BY MID NOVEMBER

Because of the snow fall that can be experienced across France during December each year we encourage you to place your Christmas order early. This avoids any delay that can occur from bad weather closer to the festivities. All of our products are fresh made so they can be frozen at home when they arrive.

Kindest regards,

Order on line for home delivery all over France http://www.epiceriebarenton.com/Christmas_B24SC4.aspx
peter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby peter » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:17 pm

Fou D'Anglais is moving to Montpellier in February. There will be a delivery service to St Felix/Rabieux where my husband's new shop will be, he will be able to keep frozen food and all deliveries there.

The new shop will be at 10 Rue Anatole France : Tram line 3 St Denis stop or Observatoire, near to Gambetta, Laissac and Gare carparks.

http://www.foudanglais.fr/
peter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby gurubarry » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:27 pm

Merci, I will be in as soon as it opens ! Good luck with your new venture. :D
gurubarry
Super Guru
Super Guru

Postby peter » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:09 pm

peter wrote:Hello, this is Epicerie Barenton, the British Butchers shop in Normandie.

Epicerie Barenton 2 rue Robert Schuman Barenton, 50720
You can contact us by.
Email Address: epi@epiceriebarenton.com
Telephone: 02 33 51 33 72
Fax: 02 33 61 05 12

Christmas is fast approaching; with only 8 weeks to go now is the time to think about placing your Christmas order with us.

We expect to be able to start sending Christmas orders out during November, probably in the 3rd and 4th week when the game and turkey comes into season.

Please find attached to this email a catalogue version of our products, becuase we now produce so many products you may find it easier to browse this than looking at each page on the website. Also please feel free to send this email onto friends and family so they too can use the catalogue. Orders with a product value of 150€+ are free delivery so join with friends and family to benefit from this.

If you would like to place an order please go to our website or you can order over the phone on 02 33 51 33 72 (please note our phones will now become very busy for the coming weeks, leave your name and number on the answer machine and we will call you back as soon as we can).

TO AVOID DELAYS THAT CAN OCCUR DUE TO SNOW PLEASE PLACE YOUR CHRISTMAS ORDER BY MID NOVEMBER

Because of the snow fall that can be experienced across France during December each year we encourage you to place your Christmas order early. This avoids any delay that can occur from bad weather closer to the festivities. All of our products are fresh made so they can be frozen at home when they arrive.

Kindest regards,

Order on line for home delivery all over France http://www.epiceriebarenton.com/Christmas_B24SC4.aspx

Epicerie Barenton have ceased trading
peter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby peter » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:11 pm

Barenton were a well respected English butcher who delivered around Languedoc. They ceased trading around Xmas.

By email :

TEA POTES
Place Notre Dame, 30140 Anduze
Tel: 04 66 56 57 62

Dear Barentons fans;

We have been busy looking for another butchers which will make everyone happy. I'm happy to inform you that we have found something we'd like to try out. The only problem is they will not send something each month perhaps every 2 or 3 months and therefore have a different quantities of sale. which follows. The products will be fresh so we will be able to freeze them on arrival.
If you would like to order please bring your order in or email us, phone us before Wednesday 19th March. The order will be going out Thursday morning.
Here's a list of what is available and the prices:
British Butler smoked back bacon 3x400g 16,89
British Butler unsmoked back bacon 3x400g 16,89
British Butler streaky bacon 3x400g 16,89
British Butler smoked streaky bacon 3x400g 16,89
Jon Thorners Large Gala Pie 600g 7,50
Jon Thorners Large Pork Pie 625g 7,50
Jon Thorners Luxery Mediterranean Pork Pie with Sun dried tomates 140g 1,86
Jon Thorners Luxury Pork Pie 140g 1,86
British Premium Beef Sausages 2.5kg 21,40
British Premium Beef Sausages 454g 4,49
British Premium Cumberland, Lincoinshire, Old Epping, Pork & Apple, Pork & Leek, Pork sausages 2,5kg 21,40
British Premium Cumberland, Lincoinshire, Old Epping, Pork & Apple, Pork & Leek, Pork, Pork & garlic, Pork & onion sausages 454g 4,49
Pilgrim's choice extra mature cheddar 3x 200g 10,88
pilgrim's choice mature cheddar 3x 200g

http://www.tea-potes.com
peter
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The postbox