Long Shot

Free discussion area

Long Shot

Postby Genghis Cohen » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:58 pm

Recently we've had a discussion on emission stickers. It went quite well with contributions from a number of members.

I see this as a hopeful sign. Maybe the forum concept has a future after all. My belief is that, after several years of experience of social media, we have learned from our mistakes and are now much better placed to exchange views in a civilised and productive manner.

Does this view have any support? Would it be possible to revive this forum to its former glory? Any ideas?

Thanks for reading this.

Genghis
Genghis Cohen

Re: Long Shot

Postby anneb » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:30 am

I don't know how to revive the forum but I agree with you that people will probably be getting disenchanted with social media like Facebook - there appears to be a lot of problems with those, security issues etc. We can only hope that the Languedoc forum revives !

Anne
anneb

Postby Brian and Helen » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:40 pm

Sorry to come late to this one, we've had visitors.

I agree wholeheartedly with you Genghis,there is room for Forums, but they need a strong raison d'etre to flourish. If they are just a chatting centre then FB works just as well, and it was always likely that the newer medium would drive out the old. Is that trend reversible? I cannot even guess.

The other factor about social media, as you rightly hint, is their occasional descent into confrontation and aggression (though as we know Forums are not immune to this). There is also a tendency to shorter, snappier responses which seems to suit the present time-poor age. Lengthy considered responses are uncommon it must be said although they are of course generally the most useful.

How do we revive a Forum? I've got no idea, but we can keep plugging along in the attempt.

Brian
One day has arrived!
Brian and Helen

Postby peter » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:41 pm

If you know how to revive a forum, I am all ears !
peter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby anneb » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:41 am

peter wrote:If you know how to revive a forum, I am all ears !

What about members here who are on FB and other social media writing posts with links to the Languedoc Page: http://www.the-languedoc-page.com I've always felt it is full of useful information which you wouldn't get on FB/social media and it is linked to this forum so maybe there would be a natural progression back to it ?

Bonne chance !
Anne
anneb

Return to The postbox